Thursday, January 24, 2008

Clinton Battles for Another Taste of the White House

"Think what being president's like. They play a song every time you walk into the room. Without the music, I didn't know where I was."
--Bill Clinton, January 22nd, 2008

I don't have any particular beef with Bill Clinton. In fact, I've seen him speak and read his memoir with great interest. I became somewhat disappointed with his close affiliation with George W. Bush, wondering why he would choose to align himself so closely with a man who might very well go down in history as the worst U.S. president.

I figured it was all part of the good ol' boy ex-president fraternity. Except, of course, for the fact that George W. Bush is no ex-president. In recent weeks, though, it's become clearer and clearer to me, as I watch Bill Clinton relentlessly attack Barack Obama, that former president Clinton is, at his core, a man who lusts for power. He has never quite gotten over all the attention he received in the White House, and he is determined to get back, if only as first spouse.